The church is thought to date from the reign of Henry III.
The attractive Grade II* All Saints church stands in a beautiful tranquil setting within its group of old trees including fine Cedars of Lebanon.
There has been a church on the site for at least 900 years. The present building was commissioned in 1851 by Lady Louisa Frankland-Russell of Thirkleby Park in memory of her late husband, Sir Robert.
Designed by the renowned Victorian 'rogue' architect Edward Buckton Lamb it incorporates an octagonal chapel dedicated to the Frankland family beneath which lies the family vault.
The church has impressive high hammer beam roofs and contains interesting memorials, some dating back to 17th century and one 1803 sculpture by John Flaxman. There is some notable stained glass designed and painted by females members of the Frankland family. All Saints has a ring of six bells and a restored Denman organ.