The first church on this site was completed in 1841 but suffered significant fire damage, in May 1891 it was reported that that the Vicar had ‘conducted a wedding in the ruins’.
Sometimes described as the 'perfect Cheshire church in Wales' the present 15th century All Saints has developed from earlier, smaller church buildings on the site and is believed to have been a site of pilgrimage, either to 'All Hallows' or possibly to St Apollonia, the patron saint of dentists.
There are Roman relics in the church from the days when the nearby area had a Roman settlement; also to be seen are very fine misericords and carvings, and a wealth of medieval stained glass. Some of the carvings depict people apparently with toothache, and four images of St Apollonia feature in the old stained glass.
A memorial book and fresco commemorating the 266 miners who lost their lives in the tragic Gresford Colliery disaster on September 22nd 1934 is in the St Catherine's (Trevor) chapel along with early Victorian brass and a fascinating memorial to John Trevor who died in 1589. The Lady chapel has an interesting reredos and a green man carving, over which is a medieval niche supporting a more modern statue of the Virgin and child.
The medieval font is at the back of All Saints, also funerary hatchments and charity boards in the west porch. The famous peal of bells is one of the 'Seven Wonders of Wales' and the Hill three manual organ is of concert standard. The high altar is separated from the nave by a 15th century screen, probably from the Ludlow workshop, and also within the church are many memorials, and beautiful brass chandeliers.
Externally All Saints has an ornamented string course above the aisle windows, the windows having hood moulds ending in carved heads of strange animals. The downspouts are held by monkeys or grotesque creatures. Between the eight pinnacles of the tower are eight figure, carved only on the front. These have variously been described as kings, knights, evangelists and pilgrims.
The churchyard walls are Grade II listed, and as well as some fine tombs and headstones, the churchyard has some very fine yew trees the oldest of which is estimated to be over 1700 years.