The church has a history which goes back over 900 years and there is a suggestion that it occupies a burial mound from the pre Christian era. This is a holy place where generations of worshippers have felt drawn to God.
In the south aisle are two fine monuments; one a large tomb chest and the other an alabaster and mid-17th century marble wall monument to Sir James Calthorpe (died 1615) and his wife Barbara, daughter of Sir John Bacon of Hesset who, according to the inscription, died in 1639 having seen 193 of her descendants. The tomb chest presents an interesting dating problem. Its framed panels are not typically medieval in their proportions and the gothic tracery is rather plainly detailed, factors which have led to the suggestion that it could be an example of late 16th century ‘gothic survival’. Blomefield ascribed the monument to Sir James Calthorpe who died in 1589.