The Grade II listed church was built in 1890 thanks to funding from the Grenfell family, leading industrialists who owned copper mines in Swansea and Cornwall. The church was repaired after it was hit by a bomb in 1940. Its spire is a Swansea landmark.
Faulty pipes, gulleys and roof slates have caused water to pour into the porch and down internal walls. The church floor is at risk of collapsing due to rot. This project will replace a large section of the roof and renew waterproofing elements such as drains, pipes and lead gulleys. Brickwork will be repaired and the building’s interior will be able to dry out.
Once the works are complete there are plans to have a classroom in the church for one week a year so children can learn about Swansea’s copper industry. A permanent heritage area will explain about the bombing of the church.