The first record of a church in Newlands was 1576. The current church was rebuilt in the 1840's. The Grade II Listed building consists of painted roughcast walls under a graduated greenslate roof, a 3-bay nave/chancel with south stone porch and west twin bellcote and a single-storey 2-bay former school adjoins west end. The nave has gabled porch and tall round-headed windows.
The grant will help the church to carry out roof repairs.