Visit St John the Evangelist church, Wick, one of the top ten churches in the Scottish Highlands.
The new church was built at a cost of £1200. The church opened for public worship on 10th December 1875.
In 1797 two evangelist preachers, James Haldane and John Aikman, set out from Edinburgh on a tour of the north, visiting and preaching in many places. They created a tide of spiritual enthusiasm and as the movement gained momentum, new churches were formed all over Scotland. In 1799 the church was built at Thurso seafront. In 1871 owing to the poor state of the building and sea encroachment, it was decided to build elsewhere. In 1872 the new church was built at a cost of £1200. It was lit by gas and heated by hot water pipes in floor ducts from a small boiler house attached. The church opened for public worship on 10th December 1875.
In 1902, a pipe organ was installed, the first in the town, at a cost of £200.
In 1977 a gallery was built above the entrance which was altered to provide a new vestry, vestibule and choir room.