A welcoming town centre church dating back to 1863, Grade II listed.
Services in Welsh began at the parish church of Holy Trinity in Rhyl in 1835.
Population growth after the railway’s arrival in Rhyl in 1848 meant that a larger church, the one you see here today, was soon needed. It was intended for visitors as well as residents. The church was dedicated to St Thomas in honour of the Bishop of St Asaph, Rt Rev Thomas Vowler Short. He had supported the church’s construction.
Sir George Gilbert Scott designed the building and, later, the clock in the tower. The church, now listed Grade II, was consecrated in 1869. The tower and spire, added in 1875, were seemingly designed to outdo those of the Marble Church in Bodelwyddan, being 30cm (1ft) taller!
Thomas Winston, Rhyl’s first stationmaster, helped to raise funds for the church’s construction, and donated one of the stained glass windows and one of the bells. Sometimes he defended nonconformists when they were abused by intolerant Anglicans. When he died at his nearby home, Bodannerch, bells were tolled at the church to inform the townspeople. Railway employees carried his coffin for the funeral.