Queen Victoria worshipped in the church as a child when on holiday, the east window is a memorial to her and the clock was installed to commemorate her Diamond Jubilee.
It has a late Norman nave and an Early English chancel.
The battlemented tower and the south porch are in the Perpendicular architectural style from the 15th century. The tower is a prominent feature and the large crack on the west side is reputed to have been caused by an earthquake.
It was used a Naval signalling station in Napoleonic times and still claims the right to fly the White Ensign.
Extensive restoration work was carried out between 1860 and 1900. The stained glass windows and mosaics date from this period. Recently the organ has been restored and the bells have been rehung in a strengthened frame.