A Norman church built on the site replacing a Saxon church and retaining some of the Saxon features.
The early history of Christianity around Selsey is hazy, partly because coastal erosion has changed the shape of this low lying promontory over the years.
Church Norton, northeast of Selsey village on the edge of Pagham Harbour, was the site of a medieval church, but by the 19th century this was not the population centre and a new church was needed. In 1865, the architect JP St Aubyn undertook a project that entailed moving the entire nave of the old church, and this became St Peter's: hence the 12th and 13th century arcades.
The font is also Norman. The chancel remains where it was, and is now known as St Wilfrid's Chapel. It is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.