The present building dates back to the 13th century, but there is reason to believe that a church existed before this date and certainly by 1190.
This remarkable set of murals was the result of a commission by Lady D'Arcy Godolhin Osborne to commemorate the safe return of her son, Captain Joseph Laycock from the second Boer War. Phoebe Anna Traquair was a Scottish artist, considered to be the first female professional artist in the country, who lived from 1852-1936. She was noted for her work in the Arts & Crafts style, creating a number of murals, of which only two, including this, are in England.
Apart from the murals, there is much to see in this church. Of 12th century origin, it consists of nave and chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. The nave arcades are 13th century and, according to Pevsner, are very weird and not yet fully explained as the profile of the piers appears to have no connection with the profile of the arches.
There is a handsome oak screen between the nave and the chancel, and a heavy stone parclose screen between the south aisle and St Nicholas Chapel. There are fine monuments and much stained glass, including several windows by CE Kempe, London.