St Mary & St Peter is situation east of main village on a high mound; a very peaceful location, of particular note are the Stations of the Cross which are mounted on the walls around the church.
As the present church was built in 1866 it is likely that the font is from about the same time. The village itself has a long history. It's mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book as Esnetrebi and Snetrebi with the King's Land in the hands of Ivo Tailbois, Gocelin, FitzLanbert and Heppo the Arblaster. It is believed that there was a settlement further back than that though as there's evidence of a Bronze Age Barrow and, not surprisingly given the proximity of the Ermine Way, a possible Roman Settlement dating from the 2nd or 3rd century. There are also Neolithic Stone axes recorded as having been found and is one now in the keeping of Scunthorpe Museum.