A medieval church which was a great centre of learning.
The church of St Michael in Llanfihangel y Creuddyn lies in the centre of this historic, nucleated settlement and its large tower has stood as a landmark for centuries.
The church is believed to have been built by the Welsh Lords of the Creuddyn in the 1268. It was built in the centre of the Commote of Creuddyn next to where the old Roman road, Sarn Helen crosses the stream as it traverses the valley. The church is one of very few complete Welsh Romanesque churches of cruciform plan with a central tower. The tower retains its historical character which has often been lost elsewhere through over restoration in the 19th century.
Although the interior of this 13th century church is quite plain, its most striking feature is the very attractive arched oak 'wagon roof' roof timbers which dendrochronology sampling has dated to between 1502 and 1528. In addition to its notable roof other things of interest inside the church include; 19th century pitch pine pews, a carved Reredos depicting the Last Supper that sits behind the alter, carved in oak by a Belgium refugee artist in the first World War; a modern stained glass window that is dedicated to a five month-old boy.
The church is surrounded by a large graveyard where several large yew trees and a large ash tree stand. Although in the middle of a farming community, the village has a history of being home to skilled craftsmen, smiths, joiners, tailors and stone masons. Generations of Farmers and craftsmen are buried in the churchyard, where sheep still graze.
A visit to this splendid old church can be combined with a drink or meal at the highly recommended Y Ffarmers, which is only a step away.