St Michael's stands within the old churchyard in the centre of the village of Bootle which is situated on the west coast of Cumbria. This remote rural community stands below Black Combe, which was immortalised by Norman Nicholson who also lived his life in its shadow. This church is one of the largest buildings in the village of Bootle.
Originally medieval, the building is constructed from distinctive pink sandstone with ashlar dressings. The roof is slate. The transepts were added to the original building in 1837 and a further addition of a clock tower completed between1860 and1890. The church is well worth a visit for its stained glass windows. The east window is attributed to Hardman but many believe the finest depiction is that in the north chancel, a window of 1899 showing the Adoration of the Shepherds. Also within the church is a small brass plaque which commemorates Sir Hugh Askew who died in 1562. The font which, like the church, has been altered over the years but may originate from 1535 when R Brown was Rector. The village cross of 1897 stands in the churchyard and is by architects Paley & Austin.