This beautiful church was designed by the eminent architect Charles Parker in an Italianate style, with early Christian and Renaissance influences.
The church has an interesting heritage. It was built in 1874-5 and paid for by a single benefactor, who was a senior partner in Coutts Bank. It was designed by a local architect in the neo Gothic style and has an elegant tower and spire which can be seen for miles around.
There is some wonderful stained glass of various periods by notable designers, an important war memorial, a fine three manual organ and an unusual peal of eight mushroom-shaped bells arranged as an 'Ellacombe chime' which can be rung by a single person. There is also a service bell which dates from 1734 and was recycled by Taylors of Loughborough for use in St Matthew’s when it was built in 1875.
St Matthew’s is part of the Tolworth Hook & Surbiton Team Ministry along with St George’s Tolworth and St Paul’s Hook.