The church has an idyllic setting within a quintessential English country churchyard.
It was built in the 13th century, but has been extensively restored and extended, mainly in the 19th century.
The building itself is not large but it is well proportioned, with natural light flooding in through the windows, which are mainly of leaded cathedral glass with just three filled with stained glass. The window on the south wall is by the celebrated glass artist, Christopher Whall. A framed list of the incumbents who served at St Mary’s, dating back to 1470, hangs in the church.