St Peter’s was built in 1874 designed by well known Lancashire firm of Paley and Austin and won an award for its design as a ‘mountain chapel’.
After three restorations the church was opened as a church by the Bishop of Carlisle on May 29th 1897 and dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.
The lychgate was erected as a War Memorial in 1927. It was constructed of locally grown oak grown in the parish.The churchyard contains numerous headstones and also some vaults, some of which are hewn in the rock.
The church community at St Mary's is friendly and inclusive. We welcome families, walkers and visitors.