St Tyfaelog's is situated in a grassy churchyard which slopes down to the east and set back from the main thoroughfare.
The schoolroom has been demolished and the chancel undergone renovation. Construction of St Mary's, a larger replacement building nearer to Fochriw commenced in 1907. This was demolished in 1981 and so has been outlived by St Andrew's.
In 1907, the Merthyr Express referred to St Andrew's as 'The building, which has done service for the neighbourhood for many years, is situated right away on the mountain top at Pentwyn. A cold, bleak, unsheltered spot, and a march there on a winter's day is not easily forgotten'.