St Margaret's has stood in Barking since 1215.
The main body of the church was built about 1130 in the Romanesque style, but the tower dates mainly from the 16th century. There is a fine doorway between the tower and nave.
In the chancel, the blind arcading of Norman arches is of special interest, as are the 12th century Cistercian wall paintings. These were covered over many years ago with lime wash to preserve them, leaving some small 'windows' to show what lies beneath.
The lime wash is now being carefully scraped away.