Approached by a narrow lane above a steep slope and surrounded by trees, Up Marden is perhaps the hardest to find of the downland churches.
The first documentary evidence of a church in Compton is found in the Doomsday Survey of 1086. The present church is the outcome of a sensitive restoration in the 1850s but the late 12th century North arcade and chancel arch are still visible.
The church is normally open during daylight hours. The church, which is light and airy, can hold some 160 in comfort and more with enthusiasm.
The graveyard, still with space, is maintained as a place for quiet contemplation in a country setting. The organ by H Willis & Son was installed in 1970.