St Peter's is a quintessential English village church set in peaceful surroundings which has grown and changed over the many centuries but still remains at the heart of the village.
Situated in the centre of the hamlet of Hatfield opposite Hatfield Court farm. The oldest part of the church is the eastern section of the north wall, containing a blocked up Norman doorway with an unusual lintel of three large jogged stones and tympanum with trellis decoration. This and the quoins are built of tufa from quarries near Stockton on Teme. The north wall also contains distinctive herringbone masonry that is thought to date from the close of the 11th century.
The interior comprises a wide 13th century chancel arch, also of tufa, fine roof timbers, single nave and chancel, with Georgian box pews and pulpit. The original tub font, near the stairs leading to the Georgian gallery, is pre Norman. There are two bells, including one rare early 13th century flowerpot shaped bell, and Commandment boards either side of the altar.
The three memorials to the Colles family, who built the original red brick Hatfield Court opposite the church in the 16th century, are dated 1641 to 1673.