The church is set in Walton village, Warrington, Cheshire and formed part of what was the Walton Estate. The church was built in 1885, by Paley & Austin at the expense of Sir Gilbert Greenall.
The authors of Buildings of England: Lancashire describe it as a 'glorious estate church, exquisitely detailed and composed' and consider that the tower is one of Austin’s best and the timber framing of the porch 'of course beautifully detailed, is a wonderful touch'. Pevsner also notes the splendid art deco fittings of 1934 by Troughton and Young, a spray shaped light above the west window and described as 'unexpectedly harmonious' and a flat circular light with star under the tower vault. St John’s was for many years the church where the Greenalls worshipped as well as their estate workers. However, the church also cared for those who worked on the Manchester Ship Canal living in Acton Grange as can be evidenced by the graves of many who worked there in 1880-1890.
The church is built in red snecked sandstone with graded Westmorland green slate roofs in a Cruciform shape with a three bay aisle less nave. There is an oak framed south porch on 6 foot sandstone plinth. The church has a massive 4 stage tower (chequer work at third stage) with recessed octagonal spire of stone and octagonal northwest stair turret; two transepts and a chancel of two bays with south vestry. There are a number of stained glass windows the most notable being the one added after the consecration of the church in the southeast transept. This was given by Lady Daresbury in memory of her elder son Gilbert who died in a road traffic accident in 1928. The design was Lady Daresbury’s own and the work carried out by William Morris.