Standing on high ground towards the centre of the village, the church is an imposing building. It is believed that Roche Abbey near Rotherham is constructed from the same magnesium limestone.
There are many interesting things to see here. The original porch contains a stoup, a small bowl set into the wall used for holy water. The nave pillars are all different, which could meant that they are a mixture of Saxon and Norman work. There are a number of masons’ marks in the stonework and the names of two churchwardens from 1729 carved into one of the roof beams.
On the north wall there is a lead tablet which depicts the two churchwardens and a plumber from 1726. The chancel contains a plaque bearing the following inscription “This chancel bounded the letter A, belongs to Acklom Esq. Impropr. and Lord of the Nottinghamshire and Rectorial Manors in Misson”.
The Acklom family were, for some generations, the owners of the nearby Wiseton estate. The estate passed to Lord Althorpe who later became Earl Spencer and was an ancestor of the late Diana, Princess of Wales.