High Toynton church is certainly a little different to look at. Dedicated to St John the Baptist, it was rebuilt by Ewan Christian in 1872 and replaced the original 13th century building. There are a variety of stones used in the build though primarily greenstone. There is also a piece of engraved stone that had been reused near the footings of the tower.
Although much changed and renovated there are still some of the original carved Norman stones and they can be seen just above the door inside the porch.
High Toynton is a ‘doubly thankful’ village, it is one of only 14 churches in the UK where all the men came back from both World Wars. Included in the church is a bank of Living Memories, which includes a resident’s diary of 1939 to 1941.
Overall a fabulous place which will make you very welcome, it is certainly well worth a visit. A beautiful wildflower churchyard surrounds the church, planted and created over the last few years and is part of the ‘God’s Acre’ project.