The most outstanding Norman church.
It exhibits all the qualities of a muscular Christian church built for the town's increasing artisan population during the last quarter of 19th century.
The church was designed by Robert Wheeler and building work commenced in 1868. In form it adopts the Early English style but this is greatly enhanced by the architect’s brilliant orchestration of building materials.
Externally, it is predominantly red brick with stone dressings rising almost shockingly from St James Road, now a busy thoroughfare leading into Northampton from the west. It is unmissable.
Internally it is even richer. Here Wheeler deploys red and black bricks, creating strong geometric patterns on the walls. His stunted columns are in polished pink granite. The near contemporary pulpit takes up the chromatic theme; beige and green marbles on a limestone and brick base. It was not until 1924 that the church was completed and the tower designed by GH Stevenson was built.