St James was built in 1959 by Bradford architects Barker and Jordan. to replace a less substantial structure a few hundred yards further towards Pudsey. The new church was one of four churches built during Bishop Donald Coggan’s initiative to provide churches for new housing estates.
The church is very typical of the end of the Festival of Britain period, with its wave roofline and separate bell tower, very reminiscent of Sir Basil Spence’s designs in many decorative features, with several nods to Coventry Cathedral including the stained glass. Although the rather angular style is typical of its time the layout is very traditional. So there is the usual three level arrangement of nave, chancel and sanctuary with a Lady Chapel to the south. The general impression is of a very light and airy church. Any impression of coldness is prevented by the walls being painted green.
There are no significant monuments but a baptistery mural, dated 1964 on the west wall of the south aisle, by C D Wildman, showing the baptism of Christ is striking and picks up the angularity of the building. The glass is unexceptional except for that in the Lady Chapel which, by a careful arrangement of colours conveys the impression of flames which clearly symbolise the Holy Spirit. There is a foundation stone in the outside of the east wall dated 1958 The pews, pulpit and lectern and altar rails are original and of a piece.