St Helen's is the parish church of Low Fell. Originally, the total cost of the building was borne by Edward Joicey, a partner in the family mining firm of Joicey & Co. The church is a Grade II* listed building and houses some of the finest stained glassin the area, by Burne-Jones, Kempe, Bagulay and Wailes and also a Father Wills organ. It is a fine Victorian church built in 1876 and remains very much in its original form. Included within the listing is the fine open timbered roof frame. This beautiful church is one of the best examples of Victorian Church architecture in the northeast.