St George's is the parish church of Clun a small town in South Shropshire, population approx 700. The church building holds an important place in the hearts of the local community.
It is important historically, it stands on the site of a Saxon church, in an elevated prominent position on the south side of the river Clun and is believed to be as old as Clun Castle which sits on the north side. It was restored in 1877 by architect GE Street. During the restoration builders uncovered 22 medieval carved angels in the north aisle roof, unusual in this part of the country. Ancient box pews were re positioned as panelling. There is a Jacobean pulpit and an ancient font with apotropaic markings. The nave has Norman arches, the chancel an ancient canopy above the high altar.
St George's tower is Norman or earlier, perhaps Saxon and has an unusual top. It is believed it was build after the nave and was used as fortification and a defence against invaders from over the Welsh border, only a few miles away. The tower is used regularly by bell ringers both form the local area and visiting teams and has a fine set of 10 bells. It is a large building with good acoustics and is popular with choirs and musicians.
Over the last 8 years it has therefore seen increasing use as a concert venue. The space has attracted many artistic exhibitions which brought town, church and artists together. The building has also been used for craft fairs and other art displays. In 2013 the local community recognised a need for a local food bank to combat rural poverty. They looked to the church building to provide suitable accommodation. The Clun Community Larder is housed in the vestry.
Outside there is an ancient yew tree, believed to be over 2,000 years old, the oldest in Shropshire. Playwright John Osborne and his wife are buried in the churchyard. The lychgate dates from 1775 and the war memorial is listed.