Built in 1959 to replace an earlier Victorian Church, the Modernist Society describes the building as 'a time capsule of the late 50s modernism'.
The most striking feature is the interior, with its asymmetrical main roof juxtaposed with the roof line of the chancel and sanctuary. Aviation themes abound in the small details of liturgical furnishings, although the reason for this is not known.
The building, although untraditional in design, is nevertheless very interesting, warm and welcoming, and, with its surrounding lawns, sits as a 'green oasis' in an otherwise unattractive area of commercial buildings.
There is an attached Hall which being fully accessible and equipped with WiFi and PA systems, is extensively used by church and community groups, serving an area of high deprivation.