The church was designed by Edward Pugin the son of Augustus Pugin and was completed in 1856: amongst the glories of the Cathedral must be counted the stained glass.
Dating from 1790-92, it is a classical church, and is built from a pale stone that sets it quite apart from the red sandstone and half-timbering that are the usual materials of Shropshire. What is more, it is a classical church with a difference: the nave is completely round.
Opinions differ as to how successful a building this is. The tower, from some angles, looks almost unrelated to the rest of the church, being separated from it by a rounded antechamber. But the interior is light, bright and uncluttered. Slender white columns (made of local cast iron) support a gallery that sweeps right round the church.
In the churchyard is the grave of Ebenezer Scrooge