The ownership of lands in Ockholte, Latinised Acolta, is recorded in various deeds from 1197 onwards.
St Botolph’s church is one of the most significant ecclesiastical buildings in the Diocese of Rochester.
Elements of a late 11th century nave survive within the building but the majority of the present church dates from a series of rebuildings and extensions from the 13th century right up until the end of the medieval period. Indeed the western tower was not commenced until 1518 and is an exceptional example of late perpendicular architecture. Although restored in the 19th century and then repaired in the early 20th century by WD Caroe, the church retains much of interest internally.
Of international importance is the Stanhope Chapel which contains a series of exceptional monuments spanning many centuries.