We would love to welcome you into our beautiful building, where we serve God and community with passion and pride.
The exterior of pressed red Liverpool brick, whilst attractive in its own right, gives visitors no hint of the glories which await them within. Our founder H Douglas Horsfall intended it to be the church which would 'most readily bring a man to his knees' when he commissioned John Loughborough Pearson to design it in 1882 as a memorial to his father Robert.
The church was consecrated in 1885 and has been noted for the quality of its interior ever since. The quadripartite rib vaulting which soars some 13 metres overheads will immediately put the visitor in mind of Amiens, or perhaps Reims, both great Gothic masterpieces of the 13th century. Add to this the exquisite carvings, the frieze around the apse and the playful corbels, and it is clear that St Agnes's is the work of the best stonemasons around.
The church has a fantastic collection of stained glass windows by Charles Eamer Kempe, his studio and successors, plus the great west window by AG Moore which was given by Douglas Horsfall who amazingly lived to see the Golden Jubilee of the church he founded. The reredos is by Nathaniel Hitch, the Lady Chapel screen is by Bodley. Don't miss the exquisite carvings of the font and the pulpit, either!