St John's is a very fine example of Victorian architecture, originally opened in 1879 and, following a fire, reopened in 1897 with one of the tallest spires in northern England.
It was built as a chapel for Dissenters from the Church of England, and has sometimes been served by ministers from Upper Chapel, the Unitarian Church on Norfolk St, Sheffield. The present congregation dates from 1934, when the chapel was reopened for Unitarian worship by Revd John McLachlan.
The chapel is a Grade II listed building with an adjoining school room on one side, known as the Deeley Room. To the rear is a well equipped kitchen and on the lower side is the old Chapel House where once the chapel minister would reside. To the front is the garden which, although small, is lovingly cared for and, facing south, catches the sun for much of the day.
Work in July 2003 has changed the look of the garden, many of the old and well loved plants were moved to other locations to make room for the new disabled access. The ancient village stocks were moved to the Chapel's garden when the road was widened some years ago to accommodate the advent of the motor car and remain there to this day!