This Victorian Methodist church is a striking building, with a full gallery and organ. It is the largest Methodist church still in use in Cardiff.
The present building, built on the site of an earlier church, dates from about 1120. It was extended and modified several times in the Middle Ages. By the early 18th century, it had suffered severe damage and was effectively reconstructed by John Wood.
The cathedral was badly damaged by a landmine in 1941 and after the war the building was refurbished by George Pace. Sir Jacob Epstein designed the statue of Christ in Majesty above the nave. The cathedral is also home to Dante Gabriel Rossetti’s triptych Seed of David.
The cathedral is the starting point for the Penrhys Pilgrimage Way, a medieval pilgrimage route rich in history.