HerefordshireLEOMINSTERLeominsterPriory(amandaslaterCC-BY-SA2.0)1 AmandaSlater

Leominster Priory

This is a big, spacious church whose building history has left it with an unusual layout that consists of what can be thought of as three parallel naves.

Leominster, Herefordshire

Opening times

Open daily 9am to 4pm.

Address

Church Street
Leominster
Herefordshire
HR6 8NH

A church has stood here since at least as early as 660, and there are stories that St David may have founded a church here a century earlier.

What can be seen today is only a part of the original priory church, which stretched further to the east. At the Dissolution the town kept the naves, but the cloisters, transepts, presbytery and chapels were all demolished.

he story of the building that stands here today goes back to 1121 when Henry I re-founded the monastery (it had been closed down in 1046), and buildings on a grand scale were erected. The first nave was built at this time, while the second dates from the 13th century, and the south aisle (as big as the second nave and bigger than the first) in the 14th century.

Many of the best architectural features can be seen on the outside of the church, especially the Decorated windows of the south aisle, and the outstanding 12th century decoration on the west doorway, made by the same team of mason/sculptors who worked at Kilpeck and Shobdon.

  • Social heritage stories

  • National heritage here

  • Glorious furnishings

  • Captivating architecture

  • Walkers & cyclists welcome

  • Train station within 250m

  • Space to secure your bike

  • Parking within 250m

  • On street parking at church

  • Level access to the main areas

  • Dog friendly

  • Café within 500m

  • Bus stop within 100m

  • Accessible toilets nearby

  • Church of England

  • Partnership Grant, £5,000, 2016

  • Our Partnership Grants funded a range of repair projects, recommended by County Church Trusts, to help keep churches open.

Contact information

Other nearby churches

Moravian Church

Leominster, Herefordshire

A Moravian congregation was established at Leominster in 1750 with the church being built in 1759, consecrated in 1751 and has served the neighbouring community ever since.

St Luke

Stoke Prior, Herefordshire

All Saints

Monkland, Herefordshire

Dating from circa 1100, and beautifully restored in the 19th century All Saints church holds many reminders of the remarkable Victorian hymn writer Reverend Sir Henry Williams Baker.