The chapel of St Ninian Braemar was built in 1898 at the same time as Mar Lodge, for the 1st Duke of Fife who married Princess Louise, the granddaughter of Queen Victoria.
A reader called Donald Cattanach walked every Sunday from Glen Banchor in Newtonmore to lead their worship in the village. A local woman wove a plaid to protect the reader and his bible from the weather and this plaid is kept in Kingussie Folk Museum.
Eventually the land owner built them a small church with a tin roof, known locally as the 'Mission Church'. The tin roof has been replaced with tiles, a ship’s bell has been installed in the roof, a mosaic window made by school children is in the wall facing the road, and the village war memorial was placed within the church grounds.