The present building was consecrated in 1623 having been built to the designs of Inigo Jones.
There has been a chapel here since 1315, and lawyers have worshipped here ever since. The chapel is in fact older than the Inn itself, but only a medieval water stoop near the entrance door remains from that period.
The present chapel is on the same site as the chapel mentioned in 1315, except for the chancel which is a post war addition.
In the 1690s the building was found to be ruinous, and was reconstructed. It was restored in 1893 in a late Gothic style but was destroyed by enemy action in 1941.
The present chapel was built in the years following the Second World War to the designs of Sir Edward Maufe, the architect of Guildford Cathedral. The resulting chapel is larger than before, and the original stained glass windows, which had been removed for safety, were brought back in the 1960s rebuild.