This Grade II* listed church dates from the early sixteenth century with much reused early medieval stonework from a nearby ninth century church destroyed by the River Eden.
We are a Methodist Church in the county of Cumbria. Wonderful things are happening within our small rural community as use of the building and congregations increase in association with our outreach work.
Gamblesby has a population of 300 and is located 10 miles East of Penrith in one of the most sparely populated parts of England. John Wesley, our founder, first visited the village from Hartside in 1751 preaching from the vantage point at Hilltop Farm. He then took a personal interest in designing and building one of the first Methodist chapels in Cumbria. He visited the village three times.
The existing chapel was built in 1864 and the 150th anniversary was celebrated in 2014 with a re-enactment of John Wesley’s first visit and preaching.