Designed by Arthur Ashpital, work began in 1852 and the church was completed in 1853.
It was completed in 1972 at a cost of £37,842. It won a Civic Trust award in 1973 and a Concrete Society commendation in 1974. Within the UK, this is believed to be the only Quaker Meeting House in the concrete Brutalist style.
In the report produced in 2015 for the Quaker Meeting Houses Heritage Project, the Meeting House is described as a ‘Brutalist jewel’ and of exceptional aesthetic value. The project was jointly funded by Historic England and Britain Yearly Meeting, and the work was carried out by the Architectural History Practice.