The church is an important early example of the Greek Revival architecture and it is mostly built from brick, faced with Portland stone.
Friends House was built between 1924 and 1927. The building was designed by Hubert Lidbetter, who won the RIBA bronze medal for 'best building erected in London' in 1927. It was originally intended for Quaker annual gatherings (Yearly Meeting). The building’s design specification included a Meeting House to seat at least 1,500 Friends (Quakers) for Yearly Meeting, a library and several rooms to meet and worship.