Longcauseway Church is a prominent and well known building situated in the town centre of Dewsbury.
It houses an exhibition of ancient Saxon Stones, including the oldest stone representation of 'Christ in Majesty' circa 850, which is situated in the beautiful Paulinus Chapel.
A beautifully carved, wooden reredos is situated in the greeting area and creates a lovely welcome to all who visit Designed by Temple Moore and made by Bridgeman of Lichfield in 1913, it once stood beneath the East window as a backdrop to the altar. The reredos comprises a central panel with 'Christ and the Twelve Apostles', each identified by the symbols with which their life was associated. Peter holds the Key of Heaven, John 'the disciple whom Jesus loved', holds the chalice he shared the poisoned cup of his execution, Andrew holds the diagonal cross on which he died and Simon the Zealot holds the saw that killed him. The instruments of Christ’s Passion are presented in shields.
The beautiful medieval stained glass is mainly 14th century and is similar to glass of the same date in the windows of the Chapter House at York Minster.