Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin was engaged as architect and it was considered the most important Catholic Church in England when it was built from 1839, seating about 3,000 people.
The original building in New Kent Road was replaced with a modern building in 1973 before regeneration of the area resulted in this third incarnation.
The common feature of the church has been to serve the community. In the early 20th century this involved jobs clubs, midwifery services, social meeting places and welfare programmes. The new building is designed and arranged to enable smaller congregation to get started and ‘seeds’ the future worshipping communities from all over London.