Founded by St Peris in the 6th century, with Snowdon and its neighbouring mountains towering above it on all sides.
The foundation stone was laid on April 19th,1856 and the church was consecrated on September 24th,1857 by the then Bishop of Bangor Dr Christopher Bethel. Today and since it was opened the church has been an integral part of the community.
The architect in the building of Christ Church was Henry Kennedy, who was also responsible for building other well known churches in the Diocese of Bangor. The influence of the 'Ecclesiological Society' and the 'Oxford Movement' played its part in forming the church and Mr Thomas Assheton Smith, the owner of the Vaynol Estate, and also owner of the Dinorwig Quarry, was the benefactor of the church, the cemetery, the vicarage and the church school nearby. On consecration day, the church was not a penny in debt.