St John Dunnalong

Midway between the historical walled city of Londonderry and the market town of Strabane.

Bready, County Tyrone

Opening times

Open for private prayer or access to visit please contact Paul 077 32310103 or Stephen 077 71792923.

Address

Victoria Road
Bready
County Tyrone
BT82 0EB

The church was built just before Disestablishment and together with the churchyard was consecrated on All Saints Day, November 1866. Built in the Gothic Style following the Gothic revival of 1834 its simple design and distinctive high pitched roof is a fine example of the architecture of the period.

Built with stone acquired locally it follows very closely the architectural thoughts of AWN. Pugin (1812-1852) not only by its simple but distinctive design, but also by its visual attraction. Pugin is quoted as saying Gothic was the only true style of Christian architecture and as one travels the A5 and views St John’s by the roadside, one would be compelled to agree.

Designed (the plans agreed on 25th May 1895 are still extant) by Welland and Gillespie, architects for the Church Commissioners based in Dublin The church was built after the parish of Donagheady was divided. It was built to service a large rural community stretching along the banks of the River Foyle. Since then three new housing estates at Magheramason, Newbuildings and Cullion have been built and added to the parish. The church today is used not only for worship, but for parish meetings, Sunday School and has in the past been used by other denominations.

Dunnalong church is a distinctive building. It is built of stone with a coloured black trim, and it has a steeply pitched roof. There is a bellcote at the west end. At the east end of the south wall, a transept is now used as a porch with a vestry room and other rooms above it. The transept has a double lattice window with a trefoil light overhead. There is a porch in the southwest corner.

In the west wall, there are two windows with opaque lattice glass, and four coloured panes, with geometric tracery above. The first of two windows in the south wall of the nave, has two lights of similar design. The second window has Psalm 150:6 Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord, and is in memory of Warren Wallace. The three windows in the north wall has lattice panes and four coloured panes each. The east window has three lights and geometric tracery, and the text follow me and I will make you fishers of men. Jesus is depicted alongside ships and fishing nets. The window commemorates Samuel and Isabel Sherrin, 1989.

At the west porch entrance, inside the nave a wooded partition is surmounted by four glass sections. These from right to left are engraved with illustrations and texts, showing the Manger, Golgotha, the Empty tomb and Christ’s promise to be present until the end of age. In the northwest corner, is the baptistery. The font bowl was given in memory of George and Mary Fulton. The pulpit is on the left of the nave, and the prayer desk is to the right. Both are in the chancel, and below the prayer desk is the lectern.

  • Captivating architecture

  • Enchanting atmosphere

  • Spectacular stained glass

  • Accessible toilets in church

  • Bus stop within 100m

  • Car park at church

  • Level access throughout

  • Level access to the main areas

  • On street parking at church

  • Parking within 250m

  • Walkers & cyclists welcome

  • Sunday worship : Morning Prayer 2nd, 4th and 5th Sunday, Holy Communion 1st and 3rd Sunday.

  • Special events include Christmas Tree Festivals, Baptism Robe Festival, Festival of Remembrance, Historical Talks, Gospel Concerts, Local Choir events and much more.

  • Church of Ireland

Contact information

Other nearby churches

Donagheady Presbyterian Church

Strabane, County Tyrone

Donagheady Presbyterian Church was known initially as First Donagheady which was built in the 1600s.

Immaculate Conception

Strabane, County Tyrone

Boasts beautifully designed stained glass windows, carved sculptures and a heritage museum collection which traces its historical development since 1895.

St Columba

Long Tower, County Londonderry

St Columba's is located in the heart of Derry City, Northern Ireland and dates back to 1783.