It was built in 1470 on the site of an ancient 6th century cell, possibly dedicated to St Brendan of Clonfert. Inside is an amazing collection of Renaissance style wooden carved pews, aisles and lofts, with the elaborate canopied and bow fronted Crawford Loft from 1705 taking pride of place amongst them.
Armorial panels grace its canopy and Corinthian columns. Also known as the Lord's Loft, this is considered one of the finest 18th century pieces of any Scottish church. Earlier, in 1597, the Glengarnock Aisle was added; the pulpit with blue and gold canopy was put in place around 1620; and the Crawford aisle followed in 1642.