All Saints’ is a beautiful early 13th Century Grade II* Parish Church which is treasured by this tiny community of only 220 residents.
This building dates substantially from the 14th century but with some elements going back to at least the 12th century. It consists of chancel, nave with aisles and transept chapels, west tower and timber framed porch. The walls are made from field stones, clunch and brick with clunch freestone dressings. The roofs are tiled.
Various styles of architecture can be seen in the church today from the early 13th century South Arcade to the tower, added in the late 14th or early 15th century, and to the chancel which was rebuilt in the 17th century.
The chancel was rebuilt in 1685, probably by the second Sir George Downing and the vault beneath contains the remains of several members of the Downing family who founded Downing College in Cambridge and gave their name to Downing Street in London. A memorial plaque to the Downing family was erected in 1962 and can be seen in the chancel.
Also in the chancel is the Croydon Roll of Honour which lists all the men of Croydon who enlisted in the Great War. Nearly 70 men out of a total population of 250 volunteered and a letter of congratulations was sent to the village from HM King George V.
The church has undergone extensive restoration over the years.