Holy Trinity without-the-walls
In the Blacon area of Chester, Holy Trinity without-the-walls was built at the same time as the surrounding housing estate and consecrated in 1960. Items from the Old Holy Trinity church on Watergate Street, Chester were kept by the new church, including a wrought iron sword holder; two wooden boards listing mayors of Chester; and the oak high altar dating from 1925.
The National Churches Trust’s grant will allow Holy Trinity without-the-walls to install a kitchenette, accessible toilet, and improve disabled access. When not in use, the kitchenette will be hidden with a sympathetic wooden screen. With permanent facilities, the community café will be able to be run more efficiently without needing to be set up and put away after every use. An external ramp and alterations to the toilet will make the church accessible to the whole community. The project will also alter and increase space available at the front of the church so it can be used more flexibly.