St Thomas

 

Awarded a grant to help fund a project to install kitchen and toilet facilities to increase community activities to engage with the local deprived neighbourhood.

St Thomas' was founded in 1881 through financial support of the Revd and Mrs Alfred Olivier and is dedicated to Mrs Olivier's father Archdeacon Thomas Hill. The Olivier family is related to Sir Laurence Olivier. The church was designed by the London architect Joseph Peacock.

The building is an important landmark in Normanton and Pear Tree. It is used by the national charity FareShare to store good quality surplus food from the food industry rather than it being sent to landfill. Two tonnes of food a fortnight is brought to St. Thomas where it is distributed to charities and organisations working with those in need.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county