Grade II* listed, St Swithun is a large town centre church. The date of the first written record was in 1258 but much restoration and repair to the mainly 15th century building was carried out in the second half of the 19th century. The church was the corporation church of the old Borough of East Retford and still retains seats for the Mayor and Councillors. Longer term plans include a major re-ordering of the church to allow for wider use and to house a number of socially desirable projects to be housed in the church in addition to being a place of worship. The grant was to help with the repair of tower and transept roofs.