St Philip and St James

 

Awarded a grant to carry out urgent repairs to the tower and spire. Many flying buttresses and pinnacles are in poor condition with stonework falling to the ground. This will be the first phase of a large programme of repair works to preserve the fabric of this church. Open every day of the year, the church already has a thriving congregation. With the village about to double in size in the very near future it is important that the church is safe and is able to fulfil future needs.

There has been a church in Hallow since Saxon times. The current church was designed by Jeffrey Hopkins, a Worcester architect, and funded by Mr Wheeley-Lea, a director of Lea and Perrins Worcester Sauce. It was consecrated on 4 May 1869. Constructed mainly of local sandstone from a quarry at nearby Holt, the church was built in a grand scale for a village.

Many of the monuments in the church are from the previous church including that to Sir Charles Bell, the eminent surgeon who gave his name to 'Bell's Palsy'. He was also founder of the Middlesex Medical School.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county

Back to Map