St Mary, St Peter and St Paul
A Cornerstone Grant to help fund urgent repairs to its 150 foot spire which had been damaged by water penetration. An extraordinarily large church which dates from about 1300, a special feature is a detached tower, built about 1270 as a garrison or watch tower to guard the river against possible incursions from Wales. The spire was added in the 14th century and is made entirely of wood. Looking up inside, it resembles a giant spider’s web of timber. The tower contains six bells, the heaviest ring of six in Gloucestershire. There is a fine collection of Victorian stained glass windows by well-known firms including Clayton and Bell, Kemps and Tower.